Looking for the best vacuum to tackle pet hair? Look no further! We've tested and reviewed a wide range of vacuums to bring you the top choices for keeping your home clean and hair-free. Whether you prefer a cordless stick vacuum, an upright model, or even a canister vacuum, we've got you covered. From powerful suction motors to advanced filtration systems, these vacuums handle pet hair with ease. Join us as we delve into the top picks and notable mentions, and discover the perfect vacuum to suit your needs and budget.
Top Choice for Pet Hair Vacuum
The Dyson V15 Detect is our top pick for a vacuum that effectively tackles pet hair. It boasts a powerful 230AW suction motor that effortlessly handles pet hair on various surfaces. Whether you're using the multi-surface floorhead or the soft-roller floorhead with an integrated laser light to detect fine debris, this cordless stick vacuum gets the job done. Its built-in dirt sensor provides an estimate of allergen levels in your home, and its whole machine filtration system, including an onboard HEPA filter, effectively captures fine particles. Moreover, its surface detection system automatically increases suction power on carpeted floors. Keep in mind that while the vacuum can run for over 70 minutes in its most energy-efficient setting, it drops to just over 10 minutes in Boost mode, so be prepared to work quickly when dealing with stubborn debris.
Concerned about running out of charge while cleaning? Check out the Samsung Bespoke Jet. It features a charging rack that can simultaneously top up its two included batteries, effectively doubling its runtime. The charging rack also acts as a self-emptying base station, sucking debris from the vacuum's dustbin into an internal dirtbag, minimizing maintenance requirements. However, note that the Samsung Bespoke Jet's twin-roller floorhead makes it slightly less maneuverable compared to the Dyson V15 Detect.
Looking for a vacuum that saves you money? Consider the LG CordZero A9 Ultimate as a good option for cleaning pet hair on a budget. It may not have the same powerful motor as the Dyson V15 Detect, but its 140AW suction motor is sufficient for tackling pet hair on different surfaces. The LG CordZero A9 Ultimate is slightly more robustly built and comes at a lower price point. With additional accessories including an extra battery, a secondary soft-roller floorhead for bare floors, and a unique Power Punch tool that vibrates to remove dust or pet dander from fabric surfaces, this vacuum offers great value. Additionally, it is fully compatible with LG's Power Mop nozzle, a specially designed mopping floorhead for hardwood, tile, or vinyl floors. If you prefer an equally priced cordless stick vacuum with an automatic power adjustment feature, consider the Dyson V12 Detect Slim, which also excels at handling pet hair. However, please note that the Dyson V12 Detect Slim has a small dustbin and only includes a single battery. Unlike the LG CordZero A9 Ultimate, Dyson does not offer a comparable mopping floorhead for the V12.
On a tighter budget? The JASHEN V16 is one of the best vacuums for dog hair at a more affordable price point. While it may not be as powerful as the Samsung Jet 75, it is still effective for cleaning pet hair on different surfaces. The JASHEN V16 comes with two interchangeable brushrolls, a bristled multi-surface roller, and a soft roller that won't damage delicate floor types. It also features an onboard HEPA filter, which effectively seals in fine allergens. Additionally, this lightweight vacuum is extremely maneuverable, making it ideal for tight spots. However, note that it may struggle with bulky debris. If you're looking for a budget-friendly vacuum that performs slightly better in this regard, the Wyze Cordless Vacuum is a good alternative. However, it has fewer attachments compared to the JASHEN, and replacement parts may be difficult to find.
Prefer an upright vacuum design? The Dyson Ball Animal 3 is an excellent choice for pet hair. While it may be more cumbersome to set up and use compared to a cordless stick model like the Dyson V15 Detect, it excels in debris pickup performance. This bagless upright vacuum effortlessly removes pet hair from a range of floor types, offering three levels of surface adjustment and built-in vanes to prevent tangling. It is also allergen-sealed and features an onboard HEPA filter to minimize the spread of fine allergens like pet dander during cleaning. The Extra variant of this vacuum comes with a dedicated pet grooming tool and a miniature turbo brush attachment for fabric surfaces. However, if you have allergies and prefer a cleaner debris disposal process, consider the Kenmore Intuition Bagged, a bagged vacuum that allows for easy emptying with a press of a latch. Just note that the Kenmore may not perform as well as the Dyson Ball Animal 3 on bare floors.
If you prefer the maneuverability of a canister vacuum, the Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog is an excellent option for pet hair. While it may be pricier than the Dyson Ball Animal 3, its high-quality plastic body and stainless steel wand contribute to its durability. Maintenance is also a breeze with its quickly replaceable dirtbags and filters. The Cat & Dog PowerLine variant of the C3 comes with an activated charcoal filter to trap odors during cleaning and Miele's SEB 228 powerhead, which effectively handles pet hair on a variety of surfaces. Additionally, it includes a straight-suction parquet floorhead specifically designed for pet hair on bare floors. If you prefer a bagged vacuum with lower recurring costs, consider the SEBO Airbelt D4, which offers larger dirtbags and longer-lasting filters. However, note that it may be heavier and bulkier, making it less maneuverable in cluttered rooms. For a more affordable option with similar features, the Cat & Dog variant of the Miele Classic C1 is a good alternative, although it may feel less sturdy compared to the C3 and does not include an onboard tool storage compartment.
- Samsung Jet 90 Complete: The Samsung Jet 90 Complete is a cordless stick vacuum that performs exceptionally well in handling pet hair on various surfaces. While it lacks the automatic power adjustment feature and dirt sensor of the Dyson V15 Detect, it is still an excellent choice.
- Shark Stratos Cordless: The Shark Stratos Cordless is an upper mid-range cordless stick vacuum known for its ability to handle pet hair on hardwood floors. However, it may not be as easy to clean and maintain compared to the LG CordZero A9 Ultimate.
- BISSELL CleanView/CleanView Swivel Pet Rewind: The BISSELL CleanView Swivel is a budget-friendly bagless upright vacuum that effectively removes pet hair on various surfaces. However, it may not have the same level of filtration as the Dyson Ball Animal 3.
- Shark Vertex Pro Powered Lift-Away: The Shark Vertex Pro Powered Lift-Away is a cordless upright vacuum that provides a go-anywhere range similar to the Dyson Ball Animal 3. However, it may have a limited battery life and could get tangled on rugs due to the lack of floorhead height adjustment.
- Airsign HEPA Vacuum: The Airsign HEPA Vacuum is a mid-range canister vacuum that performs similarly to the Miele Complete C3 on bare floors. However, it may have a shorter range, inferior build quality, and no motorized floorhead.
- Eureka Mighty Mite: The Eureka Mighty Mite is a great option for budget-conscious shoppers. Although it may not be as robustly built as pricier canister vacuums, it delivers solid pet hair cleaning performance. However, it lacks the convenience and additional features of higher-end models like the Miele Complete C3.
- Eufy RoboVac 8s: This robot vacuum performed very well in terms of suction and efficiency. However, it falls behind the Roomba j7 in terms of suction power, does not have a self-emptying feature, and struggles with navigation. It is great for daily maintenance cleaning, particularly for someone looking for a basic robot vacuum.
- Shark Rocket Pet Plus Corded Stick Vacuum: This vacuum is lightweight and convenient to use. However, its suction power does not compare to the Dyson or Shark Navigator Lift-Away models, and the cord restricts its portability. It is a basic stick vacuum that can effectively clean up pet hair, but it lacks the strength and functionality of other models.
- Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Lithium Ion Cordless Hand Vacuum: This handheld vacuum is perfect for removing pet hair from different types of furniture. It performs better on furniture compared to most other models tested. However, it cannot compete with other vacuums in terms of cleaning wood floors or carpeting, limiting its versatility.
- Bissell ICON Pet Turbo Edge: This vacuum is lightweight, convenient, and portable. However, its suction power is not as strong as other stick vacuums tested, making it less effective. It comes with convenient and functional attachments, but it falls short in terms of suction power compared to the Dyson v15 Detect.
- Dyson Ball Animal 2 Upright: This vacuum is exceptionally strong and powerful, making it the best at picking up pet hair among all the vacuums tested. However, it is heavy, bulky, and cumbersome compared to other models, limiting its portability and convenience.
- Dyson Animal V10: This vacuum performs similarly to the overall winner, the Dyson v15 Detect, but lacks some of its special features such as laser detect and a digital screen. It is a more affordable option for those looking for a Dyson vacuum.
We conducted extensive tests on all the vacuums to assess their performance in terms of picking up pet hair and ease of use. The main considerations were how effectively the vacuums cleaned pet hair on different surfaces and how easy they were to use, empty, and maintain.
Here's a breakdown of our assessments and testing process:
- Carpet cleaning: We poured various substances, including flour, coffee grounds, cat litter, and a mix of cat and dog fur, on a specific area of carpeting and vacuumed them up within a time frame. We then compared the weight of the dustbin before and after to determine the amount of debris collected.
- Hardwood cleaning: Similar to carpet cleaning, we assessed the vacuum's performance in removing debris from hardwood floors.
- Furniture cleaning: We tested the vacuums' ability to clean debris, including cat litter, flour, and pet hair, from an upholstered chair. The dustbin weight comparison before and after vacuuming determined the effectiveness of debris collection.
- Battery life (if applicable): We fully charged the vacuum and timed how long it ran on top power until the battery died. We also measured the time required for a full recharge.
- Ease of use: This evaluation involved using each vacuum and noting any factors contributing to ease or difficulty of operation. For example, corded vacuums' cords getting in the way negatively impacted ease of use. We also considered factors like weight, maneuverability, and the process of emptying the dustbin.
- Disposal: We assessed the messiness and user experience when emptying the dustbins. Preference was given to vacuums with easy and clean disposal methods.
Choosing the right vacuum for pet hair can make a world of difference in keeping your home clean and allergen-free. From powerful cordless stick vacuums to reliable canister options, we've covered the top choices for every budget and preference. Whether you prioritize suction power, maneuverability, or specialized features like a self-emptying base station, our comprehensive guide has got you covered. So say goodbye to pesky pet hair and hello to a clean, fresh home with the perfect vacuum for your needs.